ROLL UP YOUR SLEEVES –
Gurton's Is Hiring! 🌿💪
Join our part-time plant fam!
We are currently looking for one qualified candidate who loves plants, has a great eye for design, and knows how to provide exceptional, friendly service. This person’s primary role will be to lend a hand with all aspects of running our retail shop in the Hillsdale neighborhood of SW Portland, OR—with potential to help teach plant classes at our new Gurton’s Workshop in Multnomah Village!
• Exceptional people skills. The best thing we have going for us is our reputation for impeccable customer service! The right candidate will be genuinely kind, patient, empathetic, upbeat. Past retail experience is a major plus.
• Independent thinker. You will be working solo shifts at times, and will need to problem-solve based on each customer's unique needs.
• Quick learner. Plant knowledge is a plus, but not required! As long as you have a genuine interest in the world of plants and nature, we can teach you the rest. Even if you’re a seasoned plant pro, we get new species in every week, so there's always more to learn!
• Self starter. Be proactive in identifying useful tasks / projects, and tackling them with an entrepreneurial mindset.
• Artistically inclined. Top candidates will have a keen eye for all things visual. We'll need you to help curate displays, match up appealing plant + pottery combos, and snap on-brand Instagram photos during downtime.
• OK getting your hands dirty. Literally! Be ready to repot dozens of plants per shift, work up a sweat watering plants and unpacking ceramics, help customers carry large plants out to their car, and more.
• 8-24 hours per week
• $13 per hour
• Shifts every Sunday, with occasional Saturdays and weekdays
• Occasional help at street fairs or evening events
• Year-round hours (not a seasonal position)
• Solo shifts, so please be OK working independently
• Must be able to lift 40 pounds
• Zero-tolerance policy on theft of any kind
• Providing exceptional, friendly, approachable customer service above all else
• Learn and share plant knowledge
• Make plant recommendations at customer request
• Cash register duties (using ‘Square’ point-of-sale system)
• Re-pot plants for customers
• Help customers out to car if needed
• Water plants as needed (and do not water plants when not needed!)
• Keep shop in tip-top condition
• Instagram duties on occasion, as instructed
• Teaching/hosting plant-themed workshops
Email a résumé and cover letter to the email address at the bottom of this page. In your cover letter, please include reasons why you'd love to work with us, an example of great customer service you've provided, and specifics on your availability (exactly what days / hours you could work).
Note: If you've already contacted us about employment in the past, please send us a new email now, to let us know you're still interested.
We can't wait to hear from you! Gurton's is an extremely small, family-owned business that we're excited to continue to grow—please only apply if you’re prepared to respect, uphold, and be a part of our family reputation that comes with “7 generations of green thumbs”! 👍💚
Julina + Justin Abbott
Founders, Gurton's Plant Shop